Leonard Schmitz R. PH
Leonard Schmitz was born in Beloit, KS and raised in Salina. He graduated from Sacred Heart High School and received his BSP in Pharmacy from the University of Kansas. He began working at Trapp Pharmacy immediately following his graduation in 1976. Leonard and his wife of 30 years, Chadra, reside in Abilene. They have three children and two granddaughters. Leonard is a member, and usher, at St. Andrew's church in Abilene. On his days off, he enjoys spending time with his children and grandchildren and golfing.
JG Northcraft Drug House
Well known American financier J.P. Morgan once said, "The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you are not going to stay where you are." This could easily be the life motto of Mr. J.G Northcraft. His vision, determination and strong business sense is responsible for one of the leading pharmaceutical institutions in the historic town of Abilene, Ks.
The small Kansas pharmacy was first established in 1870, in a little room just north of B.J. Nelson's grocery store on South Cedar St. in Abilene, Ks. The small pharmacy grew so quickly, that by 1871 Mr. Northcraft bought out the grocery store, and expanded his booming business with Nelson's store. Shortly after this merger, however, Northcraft realized that groceries and drugs did not fit quite as well together as he would like. He promptly closed out his groceries section, and was able to enlarge his stock of medicines, drugs, chemicals, etc. By 1873, another room was added onto the south side of the building, into which Mr. Northcraft moved his stock of drugs, opening up the original grocery store to be restocked with groceries once again by the previous owner. With Mr. Northcraft being known for his "street smarts" and close attention to business, his trade increased rapidly. By 1875, the room was found to be too small, so he moved into the room north of Bonebrake's Hardware Store, where the pharmacy stayed in very successful standing through 1879. Mr. Northcraft was at that time able to build a store of his own, constructing what became the large and prosperous Northcraft Drug House. Once the growing pharmacy took roots in the new and permanent Drug House, Mr. Northcraft could begin to enjoy the fruits of his hard work, spanning over almost a 10 year period.
Respected widely for his honesty and integrity as a business owner and pharmacist, Northcraft quickly became well known all over the state and was considered one of Kansas' most successful druggists. However, Mr. Northcraft battled his own health, temporarily leaving his business to pursue treatment. To no avail, he continued to grow worse, and he passed away in July, of 1882. The pharmacy business was continued by his widow, Mrs. J.G. Northcraft, under management of her nephew, Chas. D. Barnes. and E.B. Malott. Mr. Northcraft had a son, Frank Northcraft, who was pursuing pharmaceutical studies at Kansas University at the time of his father's death. Ready to carry on the legacy of his father, Frank graduated in 1892 and returned to the store to learn the trade, starting at the bottom position, working his way up. He became full operator of the store in 1918. Since then, the store has gone through several different operators, until the Schmitz family took on the historic yet prosperous pharmacy in 1980.